Day 1 – 7 May 2019
I’m sure you already are all too aware of the state of our planet today. If you are like me you are tired of excuses both from politicians not taking the necessary action and from yourself taking the road of least resistance. We have the knowledge of our destructive behavior and the tools to change this.
Today I change the direction for me and my family if you want to join me I’ll be happy to support you in your new lifestyle! We can and will do small things every day to turn our lifestyles around.
I’m a 45 year old mother of two boys,10 and 11 years, living in Stockholm Sweden with my husband. We have a dog, a nice house and two cars. We recycle and have recently changed our diet to include very little meat. My husband is positive but not passionate about changing our lifestyle, my kids are more enthusiastic and are already much less interested in staff than their parents!
The first step for us will be starting with the concept of zero waste. For those of you not familiar with the concept check out this Ted Talk with Bea Johnson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSUmo-40pqA. She also have a website on https://zerowastehome.com/. I think this is a way to become conscious about what is really important in the life of my family and where we can create more space for ourselves. This will not be easy since my husband loves his stuff and to find new stuff online.
My first action today is to look at the important steps for zero waste pointed out by Bea Johnson. Refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle and rot.
- Refuse, is about refusing to take giveaways, flyers, freebees like pens etc. into your hands and home. But also to products we don’t need like single use plastic cups, bottles, bags etc.
- Reduce, is about decluttering and identify the items you really need.
- Reuse, swap everything that is for single use to thing that can be reused. Also to buy secondhand the things you use.
- Recycle less with waste prevention. Avoid anything plastic. Glass, metal, wood and paper can be used instead.
- Rot, use your own compost to create new soil for your garden.
Today I start with number 1. Refuse will be a discussion in my family over dinner today. How can we make sure we do not grab things handed out we don’t really want or need? I also think we can use our own water bottles and coffee mugs it only takes some getting used to. We will have this discussion tonight and I will show you the result tomorrow. The discussion will be around these topics.
- How can we reduce the amount of stuff we bring into our lives that we do not really want?
- What kind of stuff are be talking about? Handouts, freebees, gifts, presents, wrappings, bags, boxes, jars, mugs, bottles and more?
- What can we do to make sure we do not get any of these?
- Can we especially make sure not to get anything plastic?
I hope we continue this journey to become an asset to the planet together! I looking forward to seeing your comment on this blog!
Take care of yourself, each other and our planet.